The reactor effluent stream is typically a mixture of desirable products and by-products. Separation and purification of the desirable product can be a significant part of the overall cost of the process. A well-designed separation system is therefore extremely important.
Often, the same separation task can be achieved by more than one kind of separation process. On the other hand, a given separation process may not be able to achieve a certain separation task because of the presence of separation boundaries. One of the difficulties in separation system design is the selection of the correct combination of separation processes based on various driving forces, physical or chemical, for separating the mixture. Moreover, the optimum choice is a function of the reaction conditions, as the effluent composition is significantly influenced by the reaction.
CWB Tech has extensive experience in the development of various types of separation systems. Using our MOPD philosophy and approach, we can help you in developing the best separation system by understanding the limitations of each driving force available for the separation.
CWB Tech provides the following services in the separations area:
- Systematic analysis and design of simple as well as complex distillation systems, such as homogeneous and heterogeneous azeotropic systems, extractive distillation, and reactive distillation.
- Column sequencing to obtain a feasible separation and to meet the separations objectives with the lowest capital and energy cost.
- Synthesis of crystallization-based separation processes such as cooling, evaporative, and drowning-out crystallizations, based on a fundamental understanding of the underlying solid-liquid equilibrium behavior.
- Combining chemical reaction and separation into one operation using reactive-distillation, -crystallization or -extraction, in order to enhance the yield to the desired product.
Please contact us for further information regarding our services in the separations area.
- V. Julka, M. Chiplunkar, and L. O’Young, "Selecting Entrainers for Azeotropic Distillation," Chem. Eng. Prog., 105(3), 47-53 (2009).
- S. W. Lin, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Synthesis of Crystallization Processes for Systems Involving Solid Solutions," Comp. Chem. Eng., 32, 956-970 (2008).
- C. Lin, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Producing Nanoparticles Using Precipitation with Compressed Antisolvent," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 46, 3580-3589 (2007).
- B. Harjo, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Development of Amino Acid Crystallization Processes: L-Glutamic Acid," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 46, 2814-2822 (2007).
- C. Wibowo and K. D. Samant, "Crystal Clear," The Chemical Engineer, 788, 37-39 (2007).
- S. W. Lin, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Integrative Approach for Polymorphic Crystallization Process Synthesis," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 46, 518-529 (2007).
- B. Harjo, C. Wibowo, E. J. N. Zhang, K. Q. Luo, and K. M. Ng, "Development of Process Alternatives for Separation and Purification of Isoflavones," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 46, 181-189 (2007).
- K. Y. Fung, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Experimental Study of the Effect of Buffer on Chromatography and Crystallization Hybrid Process," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 45, 8393 -8399 (2006).
- K. D. Samant and L. O’Young, "Understanding Crystallization and Crystallizers," Chem. Eng. Progress, 102(10), 28-37 (2006).
- C. Wibowo, K. D. Samant, and L. O’Young, "Integrated Approach to Crystallization Process Design for Fine Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals," 16th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering and 9th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering, W. Marquardt and C. Pantelides, eds, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp.749-754 (2006).
- M. Chiplunkar, M. Hong, M. F. Malone and M. F. Doherty, “Experimental Study of Feasibility in Kinetically-Controlled Reactive Distillation”, AIChE J., 51, 464-472 (2005).
- C. Wibowo, V. Kelkar, K. D. Samant, J. Schroer and K. M. Ng, "Development of Reactive Crystallization Processes", in Integrated Chemical Processes: Synthesis, Operation, Analysis, and Control (Edited by Kai Sundmacher, Achim Kienle, Andreas Seidel-Morgenstern), John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp 339-357 (2005).
- C. Wibowo, "Put Crystallization on A Solid Footing," Chem. Processing, 68(11), 32-36 (2005).
- C. Wibowo and L. O’Young, "A Hybrid Route to Chirally Pure Products," Chem. Eng. Progress, 101(11), 22-27 (2005).
- L. O’Young, "Ask the Experts: Crystallization", Chem. Eng. Prog., 101, 18 (2005).
- B. Harjo, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Synthesis of Supercritical Crystallization Processes," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 44, 8248-8259 (2005).
- K. Y. Fung, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Synthesis of Chromatography-Crystallization Hybrid Separation Processes," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 44, 910-921 (2005).
- J. Schroer, C. Wibowo, K. Samant, & L. O’Young, “Using Phase Diagrams in Process Development of Complex and Polymorphic Systems,” SWE conference: Current Tools and Trends in Polymorphism & Crystallization, San Diego, July 25-26 (2005).
- K. D. Samant and L. O’Young, "SLEEK: A Software Tool for Crystallization Process Development," Proceedings of 10th Asian Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering (APCChE Congress), Kitakyushu, Japan, Paper 3E-06 (2004).
- E. Koresawa, M. Nakamura, C. Wibowo, and L. O’Young, "Increasing Productivity of Ammonium Sulfate Crystallization Plant via Particle Size Distribution Modeling," Proceedings of 10th APCChE Congress, Paper 4E-03 (2004).
- B. Harjo, C. Wibowo, and K. M. Ng, "Development of Natural Product Manufacturing Processes: Phytochemicals," Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 82(A8), 1010-1028 (2004).
- K. D. Samant, L. O'Young, M. Kwok, and K. M. Ng, "Workflow and Regression Methods for Determining Solid-Liquid Phase Diagrams," FOCAPD 2004 Proceedings, Princeton, New Jersey, USA (2004).
- B. Harjo, K. M. Ng, and C. Wibowo, "Visualization of High-Dimensional Liquid-Liquid Equilibrium Phase Diagrams", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 43, 3566-3576 (2004).
- J. W. Schroer, C. Wibowo, and K. M. Ng, "Synthesis of Chiral Crystallization Processes," AIChE J., 47, 369-388 (2001).
- V. V. Kelkar, K. D. Samant, and K. M. Ng, "Design of Reactive Crystallization Processes," in Reactive Separation Processes (Edited by S. Kulprathipanja), Taylor and Francis, New York, pp.209 (2001).
- C. Wibowo and K. M. Ng, "Unified Approach for Synthesizing Crystallization-based Separation Processes," AIChE J., 46, 1400-1421 (2000).
If you would like to request a copy of any of the above papers, please Click here.